Are you looking for an exciting and nutritious meat to add to your meal? Look no further than veal! This delicious and versatile meat is packed with nutrients and can be prepared in various ways. It's important to choose the right cut of veal for the dish you plan to make. With some knowledge of cooking techniques, you can prepare a delicious veal dish that will impress your guests.
At Meat and More, we offer the finest veal from local Dutch breeds, raised on our farms and fed with the best feed for at least 3 months, following the highest standards of cleanliness and medical care. Here are some veal products available at Meat and More:
Fresh Local Veal - Fillet Cuts
Veal fillet is the most sought-after and premium cut of veal. It's the smallest in size and has a delicate flavor. The fillet is the muscle that runs along the spine and is often cut into round pieces.
Chops are pieces of veal that include the loin, the part of the animal between the rib and the rump. Veal chops are less expensive than rib cuts but have more fat and a stronger flavor.
Fresh Local Veal - Escalope
An English classic, easy to prepare, and served with mashed potatoes and boiled vegetables. It's a veal cutlet that includes a slice of loin, the part of the animal between the loin and the rump. An escalope is less expensive than a loin slice but has more fat and a stronger flavor.
Veal Rib Cuts
A rib cut is a piece of veal that includes a rib bone. It contains more fat than the fillet, giving it a richer flavor. Rib cuts are also a good value compared to fillet cuts.
Fresh Local Veal - Meatballs
A meal specially made for our young ones, the builders of the future, after a tough school day. Easy to prepare, with a distinctive and delicious flavor that attracts the world of childhood and provides them with energy and magic.
What is the best veal?
Veal is one of the best meats for grilling, making stews, soups, and casseroles. It's one of the most delicious and flavorful meat cuts, making it suitable for various purposes.
The sweetbreads are considered unique cuts that can be cooked with vegetables or grilled, and they are also one of the most wonderful-tasting parts of veal.
Veal leg (the knuckle) is one of the best cuts of meat, known for its high fat content, which gives it a wonderful flavor during cooking.
What's the difference between veal and beef?
- Veal, also known as calf meat, differs from beef in several ways. It has a pink, tender texture, making it quick to cook. Its nutritional value is lower compared to beef, and the price per kilogram is higher than that of beef.
- Beef is a staple food in many countries, characterized by its red color and toughness, requiring longer cooking time compared to veal and other red meats. It has a high nutritional value.
Calves are younger than cattle, with calves typically ranging in age from 6 to 8 months. In contrast, beef is named for its maturity and full growth, with cows living for a period ranging from 17 to 20 years.
Taste, Color, and Texture
Veal has the following characteristics:
- Color: Veal contains a lower percentage of myoglobin, which is responsible for the color of meat, so veal is pink and not red.
- Taste: The flavor of veal is distinctive and clear compared to beef.
- Texture: Veal is very tender due to its young age.
Beef is characterized by the following:
- Color: Beef is red due to the high myoglobin content.
- Taste: Beef is considered to have a weak flavor and often requires additional seasonings to become delicious.
- Texture: Beef is tough and less flexible due to its age compared to veal.
Benefits of Veal
- Veal is an excellent source of protein, iron, zinc, niacin, phosphorus, and vitamin B12.
- Compared to many other types of meat, veal has fewer calories and less fat.
- Veal pairs well with creamy sauces, mushrooms, and citrus, and it can be cooked in various ways, including roasting, toasting, frying, and grilling.
- Veal is often used in Italian dishes such as veal Parmesan and veal Marsala.
- Veal pairs well with robust herbs like thyme, rosemary, and marjoram. Often, rich ingredients like butter, cream, and cheese are added to veal for delicious and enjoyable dishes.
When veal is properly cooked, it becomes tender and has a distinct flavor. It is an excellent choice for special occasions and dinner parties. With the right product from Meat and More, you can prepare a delicious veal dish.
Customer Awareness Team